Facebook Live via OBS gives you the opportunity to connect with your followers in real-time.
All you need is your smartphone and an Internet connection to get started. Read on and you can learn how you can do better than that!
- Facebook Live is growing. 81% of Internet and mobile audiences watched more live videos in 2016 than in 2015.
- People prefer live video. 80% of people choose to watch a live video than read a blog. 82% of people prefer live video over normal posts.
- Facebook Live brings in the customers. Ticket sales for future live events such as music concerts or shows are likely to grow by 67% if people have watched a live video of a previous event.
- Curiosity sells. People are interested in what goes on behind the scenes. They want to see real people in real-time. 87% would pick live video over traditional television if it meant getting a peek beyond the curtain.
- Read more about why we are excited about Facebook Live since it came out.
How Do You Get Started With Live?
There are two ways you can do this. The easy way and the better way.
1a. Facebook Live On Your Smartphone (The Easy Way)
It’s as simple as 5 taps.
- Tap What’s on your mind? at the top of your News Feed (or Write something… at the top of your business or brand page)
- Tap Live Video
- Write an optional description for your broadcast
- Tap Go Live to begin your broadcast
- Tap Finish when you want to end your broadcast
1b. Facebook Live On Your Desktop (Another Easy Way)
It’s as simple as 4 clicks. But you will need a webcam. Luckily most have them built in.
- Click What’s on your mind? at the top of your News Feed (or Write Something… at the top of your business or brand page)
- Click Live Video. For business or brand pages, make sure you are posting as your business or brand page, not your personal page – otherwise you won’t see Start a Live Video
- Click Next once you have written an interesting description
- Click Go Live once you are happy with the preview
2. Facebook Live Via OBS (The Better Way)
It’s not simple, but you can do a lot more with Facebook Live if you stream through Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) which is free by the way. Streaming Facebook Live via OBS only works for pages from your desktop.
“WHY SHOULD I USE OBS?”
- Multiple cameras
– The trouble with streaming straight from your mobile or desktop is that it’s just one angle, one image. It’s more impressive if the stream cuts from one angle to another. You can easily do this using OBS.
– You can display any window you have open, so you can show your audience pages from your website, or blog. You can even step them through how to order something from your online store.
– You can play a pre-recorded video mid-stream.
- Multiple microphones and sounds
– Always use an external microphone if you have one available. USB microphones are cheap and easy to use! With OBS you can use more than one microphone. Great when more than one person is talking or for musical performances.
– You can play music in the background as you speak, but we don’t really recommend this.
- More control
– You can add screen filters or correct the colour of the picture
– And you can turn the audio down (or up!) controlling volume
How to run live video using Facebook and OBS:
- Download OBS
- Click Publishing Tools at the top of your business or brand page
- Click Video Library on the left side of your screen under Videos
- Click +Live on the top right beside +Upload
- Copy the Stream Key from the pop-up window and click Next
- Now open up OBS and click Settings at the bottom right
- Select Stream, then in Service select Facebook Live
- Paste your Stream Key from the Facebook pop-up window into the Stream Key box in OBS
- Click Okay.
- Set your stream up on OBS – add your scenes, sources, etc.
– A scene is a group of sources
– A source is an input (camera, microphone, screen capture)
- Click Start Streaming
- Return to your Facebook Live window and you should see and hear a preview of what your OBS is broadcasting. Don’t worry, you can still fix your hair – you’re not live yet!
- Once you’re satisfied with everything, click Go Live
Here’s one we did last week using two cameras and a microphone via OBS!
Now's the time to up your game on Social. Here's the article I referred to: https://goo.gl/KaZHwoAnd if you want to learn how check out my online course: www.brightspark.training
Posted by Brightspark Consulting on Wednesday, 26 April 2017
Have you tried Facebook Live via OBS?
Maybe you’d like some help with Facebook Live in general?
If so, get in touch. We’ll have you reaching your audience live in no time. Check out our social media services!
We’ll always get back to you within one business day.